Friday, August 18, 2006

Got Weevils?

If you don't, I would be happy to share! :)

Well, I no longer have them either, I hope. I decided to do a simple, completely easy lunch, one with no nutritive value whatsoever, but the kids will eat it--ramen soup, or as it's known around my house "curly noodles". Anyway, got the noodles in, noticed that one package had torn while I was crunching up the noodles (or so I thought!!), but didn't think much of it, til I went to add in the flavoring. You guessed it, bugs, weevils floating in and amongst the curly noodles! UGH! Disgusting! As A put it "gagarama". I quickly dumped the offending noodles into the sink and opted for easy lunch #2, pb&j.

This whole experience reminded me of a similar situation that one of my girlfriends had a few years back. She and her family were visiting with her in-laws. Grandma got a bowl of cereal for her daughter and my friend happened to look over and see weevils in the cheerios her daughter had been eating! Talk about another gross-out. Thankfully I saw the bugs in time, but I think it's going to be a good long time before I get the courage to crack open another bag of those noodles!

3 comments:

LaughterThoughts said...

okay, you would totally gross out at my weevils story... actually i've got a few of them. but do i dare actually put it in print?!:-)

Bird said...

Once, when I was working at the Station, I opened a perfectly sealed granola bar, only to discover worms/larvae/whatever nastiness you want to call it. Too bad I had eaten half by the time I saw them!
How old were those noodles, anyway? ;)

LaughterThoughts said...

oh, and little worms... i have an even funnier (would it be considered funny??) story about little wormy grub things... you know, the little white ones (that eventually turn into miniature white moths as i soon learned-- but that's another story even!)that are about the size of a grain of rice and look a whole lot like rice... except rice doesn't typically wiggle. and it doesn't make webby stuff.

lesson learned: white grubby worms and weevils spread easily (so watch out for anything that might have been stored nearby... flour, cornmeal, pasta, rice...!) this is why i now store flour and cornmeal in the freezer!