Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Knit A Week

So I went a little crazy with the photos for this post, 
but when you spend the amount of hours
that I did for one creation . . .
you want to heavily document it! {grin}

This is another mystery shawl knit-a-long.
I have admired the designer's shawls for a long time, 
but had yet to screw up the courage to tackle one
on my own.  It was great to be joined by a 
couple hundred others in making this shawl.


My lame attempt at an artsy photograph!

Princess #1 showing off one wingspan.


Although you can't see them (due to my stellar photo taking skills),
there are about 200+ seed beads knit into the shawl.
I used dental floss to do it!

It has a crescent shape which is awesome, because the
curve keeps it on your shoulders.

So, so pretty!!
Pattern:  Polaris by Susanna IC (Rav link)

Yarn:  Aurora by Jill Draper in the Blue Agate colorway
This is one of Jill's new yarns! In a word: gorgeous!
Wool and silk lace weight yarn with stunning color!

Verdict:  Okay, so this was a challenge for me. My first lace weight shawl and
first time adding beads to my knitting.
 When I saw the first clue said cast on 361 I about threw in the towel.
However, the brilliance of shawls done this way (bottom up, crescent)
is that you tackle the multitude of stitches while the
excitement of starting a new project is highest.  By the time you're done,
you're down to about a couple hundred. Easy peasy! {grin}

2 comments:

Jordan said...

Princess #1 is too beautiful for her own good!!! She's just gorgeous. Oh, and so is your scarf :) :) Is it hard making something without a picture?

Castle Diaries said...

She really is Jordan!! Not that I'm in any way prejudiced! It's not as hard as you might think, what's hard for me is committing the time, $$ for yarn without being sure if the final outcome will be something that I'll love. :)