Sunday, July 10, 2011

Associations

I seem to have a lot of weird associations.  Most of them stemming from a certain food that holds a sweet memory. Hmmm, Sweet and Sour Chicken from Leeann Chin's comes to mind.  (The King will know what I'm talking about . . .) {grin}

Today I realized another.  While making strawberry freezer jam, I was overcome by the urge to make biscuits.  I blame my Mom.  Whenever my Mom made jam when I was kid, which was basically all summer long, she usually made the real deal--cooked jam., and one of the steps to making cooked jam is to skim the foam off the top.

She would ladle it into one of her peach lustre Fire King bowls and add to it from each of the batches she made that day.  Then for dinner she would make a big batch of baking powder biscuits and we could slather the fresh foamy goodness on and enjoy.

So tonight in honor of my Mom I will make a big batch of baking powder biscuits to go with my freshly made jam.  It won't be foamy, but I won't be hot and sweaty from stirring jam over the stove either.  Sounds like a win-win to me!

No comments: