Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Another Knit This Week

I just finished up my first, of what may turn into
many, "Mystery Knit Alongs".
The basic idea is you know what you are going to knit
in that, I knew that I was going to make a shawl, but 
beyond that you no nothing about what the final
creation will look like.

The designer gives you an idea of what kind of yarn would
be best suited to the pattern, in this case, a subtly 
variegated yarn as opposed to a wildly, hand-painted
yarn was preferred.  And with this mystery knit, the
designer had paired with a yarn-dyer and had a 
custom made yarn for her KAL (knit-a-long) that you could
choose to purchase (I did).  

And then you wait for the clues to appear.
Fun, fun, fun!

I started my project April 15th and finished 
exactly one month later.  

It's not too big of a shawl, which I like.
However, I haven't decided if I'm going to keep
it or gift it.  Purple is not one of my go-to
colors, but I couldn't resist this yarn for some
reason, maybe because was meant to be
for one of my many purple loving friends! {grin}

Pattern:  Roxanne by Liz Abinante

Yarn:  Hipster Sock in the Ethereal colorway by Little Red Bicycle
and the bottom border in Dream in Color's Smooshy Sock Yarn.

Verdict:  This shawl has cables and lace and lots of fun
texture to it!
Would I have chosen this pattern to make on my own? 
Probably not, but that being said, it was a lot of fun to 
join in the discussions and knit up a mystery item!


(Some have compared it's shape to Cylon ships from BSG.{grin})

No comments: