Friday, November 05, 2010

And On It Goes

So my birthday was this week. Not nearly as exciting as they used to be, let me tell you. However, as I was opening the gift from Princess #1, I smelled a familiar scent. It was from Yardley of London lavender soap, that she chose to go with the loofah in the same package.

The minute I saw the package, I knew why the smell was so familiar, it was exactly the same brand and scent of soaps and bubble baths that I used to choose for my own Mom so many years ago for Mother's Day or her birthday.

It was sweet and thoughtful. It made my heart get all squishy and my eyes a wee bit damp.

I hope that she has a daughter someday who will buy her Yardley of London lavender soap for her birthday.



I'm reminded of my all time favorite quote from the book Rebecca, by Daphne du Maurier: "If only there could be an invention that bottled up a memory, like scent. And it never faded, and it never got stale. And then, when one wanted it, the bottle could be uncorked, and it would be like having the moment all over again. "

No comments: