Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Permission

I think the most often-asked question that I get regarding our choice to homeschool, is "How do you do it all?" And my answer is always and emphatically, "I don't."

I struggle with maintaining balance. For instance, last week, I was able to maintain a clean kitchen and kept the floors swept (I even mopped once) and homeschooled three kids. However, this week, I've been all about the baking and making dinners that need extra prep work, and keeping the kitchen clean and homeschooling three kids. Floors, what floors??

I have to give myself permission to let things go. I can't do it all and homeschool. Heck, I can't even do it all without adding homeschooling to the mix. A wise woman shared with me her sanity secret right after the Prince was born and I will share it with you. Pick one area or space in your house that drives you the craziest when it is messy and do your best to keep it clean daily. So that's why I do my darnedest to keep my kitchen clean. I hate stacks of "stuff" and things that need to be walked five more steps to be put away, cluttering my counter. And since we homeschool (basically) in the kitchen, that adds to my clutter-angst.

And the second part to the doing it "all" equation is all the extra-curriculars that we add on to our lives. I have an on-going discussion with a couple of dear, fellow homeschooling mama's about how easy it is to get caught in the trap of "busy-ness". I was caught up short when one recently listed all the things that my family is involved in right now (some are temporary), she wasn't criticizing, but it made me realize that there is a reason for the fatigue I feel at the end of the day (with nothing to show for it, it seems). I am so glad that several years ago, I gave myself permission to rest. And the King is in complete agreement. Our kids will have "rest" time daily and that time is mine to do with what I choose--guilt free. I may choose to do chores (yah right!) or as I usually choose, something that gives me rest: knitting or reading.

Try it! Give yourself permission to drop an activity (even it is one of your kid's activities-gasp!) that causes you/your family stress. We decided to cut out going to Awana last year, and oh the relief our family felt!! Or create a time during the day for rest for your entire family and rest yourself without guilt! Rested mamas make for happy mamas!
{I highly recommend reading (Taking Care of the Me in Mommy by Lisa Whelchel) for more on this.}

I'm done preachin'. For now.

1 comment:

Sarah M. said...

Thank you! We(I) need to be reminded that in order to nurture and take care of our families and homes, that we need that "rest time". I appreciate you! ☺