Thursday, July 15, 2010

Method in the Madness

When I was a kid, I can remember most every trip we took starting with my Mom mopping us "out of the house" (as she liked to put it). As a kid it was kind of a drag because you had to be sure that you made that last trip to get something or use the bathroom before the mopping commenced . . . or else you did without.

Now as an adult I get it.

It was the pleasure and satisfaction that my Mom got from knowing that her floors would be clean for more than five minutes. Even though she wouldn't be home to enjoy them, the floors would be clean for more than five minutes. Are you getting this? All that hard work was going to stay nice and neat for more than five minutes and speaking from personal experience, knowing that your hard work will last for more than five minutes is exhilarating, thrilling, and mind-boggling in its goodness to a mama's sanity.

So today, in honor of my Mom's unsung brilliance, I mopped us out of the house. And knowing and secretly reveling in the fact that my floors were clean for longer than five minutes today felt pretty darn good.

No comments: