Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Book A Week

As most of you know, we here at the castle are book-aholics (or book-alcoholics if you are Princess #3). I thought it might be fun to recommend, so to speak, a book we have "discovered" that your family might enjoy too. I'll do my best to update the blog with a new book weekly.

"Fanny" by Holly Hobbie was a totally, wonderful surprise! We are huge fans of her "Toot and Puddle" books, but this went completely different path than I expected.

Fanny is a little gal who would desperately like a "Connie" doll just like all her friends have. {The Connie dolls remind me of the Bratz dolls the girls used to beg for.} Anyway, she decides to make her own doll, that's right, actually sew her own doll with her own initiative--LOVE IT!! Fanny has to deal with some snotty friends and decide for herself what is "cool" and what is not. Excellent story, excellent jumping off place to discuss with your kids (girls especially) peer pressure, the importance of being creative, and being okay with your Mom saying "no" even if all your friends have the "it" toy of the moment.

Go find it. Read it. Share it with your sweets.

Ages 4 and up would find it most interesting in my opinion.

1 comment:

Sarah M. said...

What a great idea! Thank you, sweet Queen! I am always looking for books that encourage good character qualities. I think that the girlies and I will be reading this one and soon. ☺