Tuesday, May 04, 2010

A Decade


So today marks Princess #1's 10th birthday. She got her ears pierced the minute the mall opened today. The long-awaited, much-anticipated rite of passage (in our family) has been completed. Whew. She is now living proof to her younger sisters that you really can make it all the way to 10 without your ears pierced. Who knew?

What can I say about this oldest child-of-mine? She my right-hand gal. She is my seemingly tireless reader. She is my artist. She is the go-to brother watcher, always ready to report for "Prince duty". She is a faithful friend. She loves to shop. She loves to be the boss (I can relate). She loves to be right (I can relate). She loves.

A fellow homeschool mom (who recently adopted her 5th baby), and I were talking earlier this year. And she confided that if she had to care for that many kids without the help of her oldest, she would be sunk. I feel the same way. Sure our relationship is rocky at times, what mother-daughter relationship isn't? But at the end of the day, I'd be lost without her.

She came into this world as quiet as a mouse. Seriously. Not a peep. (Until I met Princess #2 I thought all babies came out that way. {grin} ) However quiet, her presence woke me up for good 10 years ago, and I've been awake ever since (not literally, although some days . . . ). I am so thankful God chose me to be her mom.

1 comment:

Sarah M. said...

I totally need a kleenex. ☺ Happy Birthday, Princess #1! It has been a joy getting to know you and all of your sweetness. I had to wait until I was 13...you are a blessed girl! Enjoy your lava cakes and pierced ears! Yay!!